Tyler Carson, D.O
Tyler Carson, D.O
Neurosurgeon (Board Eligible)Fellowship in Spine
- Western University of Health Sciences, COMP – Doctor of Osteopathy 2012 : 2008-2012
- University of California Los Angeles – B.S. Materials Engineering 2003 : 1999-2003
- University of Tennessee, Dr. Kevin Foley – Spine Fellowship : 2018-2019
- Riverside University Health System, Moreno Valley, CA – Neurosurgery Residency : 2013-2018
- Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, Colton, CA – Internship : 2012-2013
- Board Eligible
- COMLEX Level 1/2/3: 597/677/654,
- USMLE Step 1/2: 234/99 / 243/99
Prior Work Experience
Northrop Grumman Space Technology – Materials/Composite Engineer : 2003-2008
- Performmaterials selection and process improvement studies
- Developand qualify new composite materials for use in space/satellite systems
- Coordinatematerial characterization and testing and write material and process specifications
- Performfailure evaluation and make corrective action
Western University Summer Research Fellow : 2009-2010
- Advisor: Dr. Xiaoning Bi (909) 469-5487
- Developed a microinjection system capable of delivering dyes, cDNA and proteins to cultured neurons
- Usedmicroinjection dye delivery to quantify the morphological changes observed in cultured hippocampal neurons from Ube3a knockout mice (Angelman Syndome).
YY lab – UCLA Materials Science Department : 2001-2003
- Advisor: Dr. Yang Yang (310) 825-4052
- Develop organic electronic devices using vacuum evaporation systems: PLED, OLED & IC
- Developed vacuum evaporation system for OLED fabrication
- Carson T, Miulli D. Bedside twist drill aspiration of cerebral abscess less than 2.5 cm in size: A case series and discussion.Surg Neurol Int. 2017 Sep 26;8:230. doi: 10.4103/sni.sni_291_16. eCollection 2017.
- Carson,T, Billings, M, Goldenberg, T,Cortez, VA, Miulli, D.(2017). Delayed Intracerebral Hemorrhage. In T. Hiscock (Ed), Neurosurgical Intensive Care. (pp. 116-137). NewYork, NY: Thieme PublishersNew York.
- Carson, T, Cramer, D, Miulli, D. (2017). Neurophysiology in the Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit: Options, Indications and Interpretations. In T. Hiscock (Ed), Neurosurgical Intensive Care. (pp. 177-193). New York, NY: Thieme Publishers New York.
- Carson, T, Miulli, D, Siddiqi, J. (2017). Intracranial Pressure Fundamentals. In T. Hiscock (Ed), Neurosurgical Intensive Care. (pp. 225-234). New York, NY: Thieme Publishers New York.
- Carson, T, Cramer, D, Miulli, D Siddiqi, J. (2017). Cerebral Protection Measures. In T. Hiscock (Ed), Neurosurgical Intensive Care. (pp. 235-247). New York, NY: Thieme Publishers New York.
- Carson T, Cortez V, Miulli D. Bedside Intracranial Hematoma Evacuation and Intraparenchymal Drain Placement for Spontaneous Intracranial HematomaLarger than 30 cc in Volume: Institutional Experience and Patient Outcomes. Podium and Poster Presentation at 2017Annual Clinical Assembly of Osteopathic Surgeons, Washington D.C.
- Carson T, Harari O, Miulli D, Gnass S, Siddiqi J. Improved Surgical Site Infection Rates of Neurosurgical Procedures through Implementation of Perioperative Care and Standardization of Operating Room Protocols in a University Health Care Setting. Abstract oral presentation at California Association of Neurological Surgeons (CANS) January 17, 2017.
- Carson T, Miulli D. Bedside twist drill aspiration of cerebral abscess less than 2.5cm in size: A case series and discussion. Poster Presentation at 2016Annual Clinical Assembly of Osteopathic Surgeons, Phoenix, AZ.
- Carson T, Zhao K, Miulli D. Benefits of Methylphenidate on Patients with Brain Injury in an Acute Setting. Podium and Poster Presentation at 2015 Annual Clinical Assembly of Osteopathic Surgeons, Chicago, IL.
- Carson T, Schulz K, Robinson E, Miulli D, Siddiqi J. Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy for the Treatment of Neurosyphilis Induced Obstructive Hydrocephalus. Poster session presented at the 2013 Annual Clinical Assembly of Osteopathic Surgeons, Las Vegas, NV.
- Li, J , Carson T., Gnass E. et al. (2011, March). Insulinoma of the Pancreatic Neck. Poster session presented at 79thAnnual Postgraduate Convention (APC) at Loma Linda University.
- Huynh KP, Le T, Carson TA, et al. (2011, May). Does Dihydropyridine Calcium Channel Blockers Lower Serum Sodium: Nifedipine versus Amlodipine on Sodium Levels. Poster Presentation ARMC Research Conference.
- Carson TA. & Bi X. & Qin, Q. Abnormal dendritic development in hippocampal neurons with maternal Ube3A deletion, Journal of Investigative Medicine, Vol.58 (1), #450, 2010. Oral presentation at AFMR Western Regional Meeting January 2010, Carmel, CA.
- Carson, T. & Panchal R. & Miulli, D. (2010, October). Grading Lumbar Spinal Stenosis: A proposal of MRI measurement Techniques. Poster session presented at the 2010 Annual Clinical Assembly of Osteopathic Surgeons, San Francisco, CA.
- Carson TA. (2009, August) Microinjection: A method for studying abnormal dendritic development in hippocampal neurons with maternal UBE3A deletion. Oral presentation at 2ndAnnual Student Technology and Research Symposium (STARS), Pomona, CA
- 2nd place Neurosurgery specialty poster presentation for Benefits of Methylphenidate on Patients with Brain Injury in an Acute Setting at 2015 ACOS convention, 2015
- President's Award –For service to the University, 2012
- Pauline Weiss Pumerantz Memorial Award –Commitment to education and role model for future generations of students, 2012
- 2nd Place in Neurosurgery specialty poster presentation of Grading Lumbar Spinal Stenosis at ACOS 2010 convention, 2011
- “Most Technically Difficult” research on mutant ube3a mouse hippocampal neurons at 2009 Western University Annual S.T.A.R.S symposium, 2009
- William J. Knapp Scholarship for outstanding undergraduate student in the field of ceramic engineering, 2003
- Eagle Scout (Boy Scouts of America), 1998
- Resident Patient and Safety Council : 2016
- Western University adjunct faculty Neuroscience course : 2012-Present
- Resident Advisory Committee – Meet monthly with representatives from all residency programs at ARMC to discuss institutional concerns or improvement ideas : 2012- Present
- President of the Student Osteopathic Surgery Association (SOSA) – Western University Affiliate : 2009-2010
- Student Osteopathic Surgery Association (SOSA) member – Continue to support current leadership with activity organization : 2008-2012
- Volunteer with Pipeline to Health Careers and St. Mary’s MC through CCE – COPE Health Solutions : 2008-2010
- Volunteer at Montclair Clinic – Low cost community health clinic : 2008-2009
- Clinical Care Extender Volunteer at St. Mary Hospital in Long Beach, CA – provide to nursing staff with basic patient care : 2005-2007
- Ad Hoc Reviewer. Spine since 2017.
- Member of American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- Member of Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS)
- Member of North American Spine Society (NASS)
- Soccer – Member of Southern California Olympic development soccer team, San Diego Surf Soccer Club AAA- premiere team u-14 thu u-19.
- Golf – High school golf team, Lowest Handicap 10
- Fishing– Largest catch 349lb Pacific Blue Marlin